We Got Chickens!

Ever since visiting Key West in 2005, I have been in love with the chicken.

If you haven’t been, wild chickens hang out on the streets of Key West. There is nothing more surreal than pumping gas at a city gas station while watching a chicken wander around the parking lot!

And so my fascination with chickens began …

For the past several years I have been trying to convince both my parents and my in-laws to get chickens. Despite my promises to help care for them, neither one gave in.

Then, we moved to the country and what was once a dream has become a very real reality.

I am know the proud mamma of six baby chicks and I created this page to mark the fabulous occasion. (Click on the image for a larger version)

I used papers from TPC, cardstock from American Crafts and some leftover ribbon to create this page. The flowers were made using Tim Holtz/Sizzix Tattered Flowers Die and the journaling block was made with a punch from EK Success. For the title, I used Ashlyn’s Alphabet and the Cricut. The gems are from Queen & Co.

Here’s a close-up version of the right side …

Repurposed Recipe Box

I am continuing to modify items to make them fit the new look I want in my new house.

This time, it was my recipe box.

I did this box (a kit from We R Memory Keepers) several years ago — long before I knew anything about paint, adhesive, etc. It was cute, but I never really loved it. And, since it was red/white/black chicken paper, it didn’t really fit in my new kitchen. So, I ripped it apart and started again.

First, I painted the edges with a white Paint Dabber from Ranger.

Then I covered the entire box, inside and out, with papers from TPC featuring a beautiful Mediterranean tile look in bright blues and oranges. I added a bit of ribbon, a matching tag and some stickers. Then, using DCWV paper, I cut out the letters on my Cricut, ran them through a Xyron and called it done.

This version looks much better and although a bit fancy, it definitely matches the colors in my new kitchen.


I haven’t been to a graduation open house in years, so when I discovered I needed to make a poster for my daughter’s open house, I was a bit surprised.

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but this is what I came up with …

I started with a science project board and used some papers and stickers from TPC, for the most part. I added a bit of Bo Bunny ribbon, a school bumper sticker and some cardstock, as well.

I used paper to help section off the display into different portions of Korie’s life: baby/toddler, school, friends, dance, graduation, etc.

For the title, I cut out Korie with my Cricut out of cardstock. I meant to cover it in glitter, but I forgot until it was all adhered. So, I improvised and used Distress Stickles. They gave it a little shine that showed up well when it was set up outside.

To hold this all together, I used Glue Dots, my ATG and the Tiny Attacher — my three favorite ways to attach things. I was impressed, again, with how many layers the Tiny Attacher goes through. And, the Glue Dots and ATG held so well, not a thing came loose — even though the display blew off the table multiple times!