Fun with Alcohol

I have been wanting this stamp by Judi Kins for months and finally broke down and bought it. I imagined it warm, sunny and sparkly.

So, for the next challenge for Scrap Wars, I created a special tag to go with this special stamp.

Our challenge was to make a standard tag and use acetate somewhere on the tag. I decided just to make the tag from acetate.

I used Judi Kins Embossable Window Plastic to make the tag and added Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink to the back side. I then stamped the image on the front and heat embossed it with Zing embossing powder.

When I got done, I decided I didn’t like the fairy’s flesh colored in yellow and orange, so I used a Q-Tip and some blending solution to remove the color. In retrospect, an Alcohol Ink Pen filled with blending solution probably would have worked better.

I then added glitter to the backside, so it didn’t get in the way of the details. I used glitter and clear glue by Art Glitter.

Some eyelets and beads (by Maya Road) at the bottom and a ribbon up top completed the look.

Studio 490 Style

I recently had the pleasure of taking two classes with Wendy Vecchi.

I learned a few new tips, like how to mask a rubber stamp so you only ink the part you want to stamp.

More importantly, I learned how adding rubber stamps can enhance other images.

I even got used to cutting out stamped images — something I NEVER did before my hours with Wendy.

When visiting Wendy’s blog, I noticed there was a contest in her honor by Simon Says Stamp.

And, although most of my Studio 490 stamps have not yet arrived, I decided I owed it to Wendy to show her all that I learned in her class.

And so, without further ado, here is my art — Studio 490 style.

I started with white cardstock from American Crafts. Using a Tim Holtz mask, I inked the tag with Distress Ink.

Then, I removed the mask and inked the entire tag again.

I then used Ranger Archival Ink and a Studio 490 background stamp to ink.

The colors I have in ink are too bold (lighter colors are on order at Scrap Tales) and I didn’t like the result, so I went over the entire tag with more Distress Ink.

Then, I stamped the leaves (again, with a Studio 490 stamp) and colored them with Distress Ink.

I edged both the tag and leaves with a Paint Dabber in Copper. I also ran it lightly over the brad.

I cut the flowers out of Grunge Paper with Tim Holtz’s flower die. Since I didn’t have another background stamp by Wendy Vecchi, I used one from Hero Arts.

Then, I inked them and attached them to the tag.

The bird is a Studio 490 stamp that I stamped on Grunge Paper, cut out and inked. Then I coated it with Diamond Glaze by JudiKins.

I added one of Wendy’s word stamps, some Distress Stickles, an eyelet and some Maya Road ribbon for the finishing touch.

Thank you, Wendy!