Time-Saving Die Cut Tip

I am a lazy scrapbooker.

I like complex pages, but I don’t like to spend a lot of time on them. If there is a way to shorten drying time, cut out a step or do it quicker, I am likely to discover it.

As I was creating a page for Dies Direct, I thought of two ways to save a bit of time on the die.

I was using the luggage tag die from Dies Direct. The die has a tiny border that adds dimension. But, lazy cropper that I am, I never want to take the time to cut out the die twice with two different colors of paper. I suppose I could have trimmed my paper and run two different colors through at the same time, but I came up with two other options.

For the first one, I ran each of the little pieces through my Xyron. Then, while still attached to the backing, I colored them with Distress Ink and then attached to my tag.

In the second option, I used the paper left over after cutting out the die as a stencil and, using Distress Ink, stenciled the pattern onto the tag.

After journaling, I covered both with Diamond Glaze and added a brad.

In the end, I liked the first option best, but because I wasn’t thinking when I did the journaling, I used the second option on my page. Here’s the finished page …

Die cuts — not just for decoration, anymore

I wanted to share some different ideas for using die cuts or punches.

In this example, I used this flower die from Dies Direct as both a mask and an accent. I used the colors I had on hand and made my own glimmer mist, but you could do it any color. Imagine how pretty it would be in pinks and purples!


1. I cut the die cut out of cardstock several times. Then I ran each piece through my non-permanent Xyron machine and placed them where I wanted them on the card front. I used both the inside and outside of the flower.

2. I made two glimmer mists by mixing a drop or two of Distress Ink, a little Perfect Pearls, and then filling my mini mister with water. I used Mustard Seed and gold in one and Peeled Paint and green patina in another.

3. I lightly sprayed the surface with the yellow mixture and then let dry (I used a heat gun to speed up the process.)

4. Then, I repeated with the green. I did it heavier in places.

5. Once dry, I peeled off the die cuts and threw them away.

6. I decided I wanted more color, so I lightly misted with the yellow again in some places.

7. Once dry, I edged the card in Peeled Paint Distress Ink and blended it a bit on some of the sides.


1. I cut out dies again and sprayed them with the green mist. I went heavier on the inside of the flower.

2. I inked the edges of the back part of the flower with Peeled Paint Distress Ink. I used a lot of ink because I didn’t get the contrast I wanted originally — but it’s all an experiment, right!

3. I attached the flowers with brads directly onto the card and added the title.

You can’t see the glimmer well in the photo, but the card sparkles, without looking like glitter.

I think I’ll try to hippo die next and see what sort of grungy background I can make!