My quest for the $100 leaf began after reading a blog from Linda Cain, who is on the Tim Holtz design team.
Linda made this amazing wreath using packaging from Idea-ology products and Tim’s Alterations Tattered Leaves die, alcohol ink, Paint Dabbers and some other fun products.
I loved the idea and wanted to try it for my “Make Art: Wendy Vecchi Style” submission for a contest at Scrap Tales. (check back tomorrow for that project)
Of course, several days had passed between the time I read Linda’s instructions and made my own, and since I do not have a photographic memory, mine came out very different, but equally lovely.
I used leftover packaging and the same die to make the leaves. I then used Wendy Vecchi’s Studio 490 background stamp of fly poop and Ranger Archival Ink to provide the leaves some style. I heated the ink to dry it, then flipped the leaf over and applied several shades of green alcohol ink. I added gold Paint Dabber to the edges, because that’s what Wendy would do. To make the veins, I used a black Copic pen and then heated and molded the leaf.
Here’s the result:
Nice, but not quite right. I also noticed the ink didn’t really dry completely. So, I went back to the drawing board.
It turns out Wendy has a Studio 490 leaf stamp that is really close to the size and shape of the die leaf. It doesn’t match completely and curves the wrong direction, but when you’re making transparent plastic leaves, perfection is not a requirement, so I went with it.
I stamped them with Ranger Archival Olive Ink and then heated it to dry somewhat. I then used the fly poop stamp again, in Coffee Archival Ink. To make them both permanent, I used a translucent gold embossing powder by Stamp-n-Stuff. (It stuck just fine, even after heating the ink. I suppose you could use Staz-On, but I don’t have appropriate colors in that ink …)
Then I turned the leaf over and applied Alcohol Ink in a couple of shades of green and trimmed the edges in gold Paint Dabber.
Once that was complete, I heated the leaf with my Ranger Heat Gun and molded it as desired.
You can see my completed leaf in the photo at top (click on it for a bigger version) and here …
I glued them on with Art Institute Glitter Glue in clear. I absolutely love that stuff!
So, I figure the leaf was completely free, since I already had all of the inks and tools needed to make it and the base is made from packaging, which would otherwise have graced a landfill.
Of course, my husband wanted to know how much it would cost if I didn’t already have all of that stuff … so I added up the cost of the inks, stamps, heat gun, die, embossing powder and paint and came up somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 — not including my Nonstick Craft Mat or Cuttlebug.
Whether you choose to use the free or $100 method of accounting, you have to admit the end result is priceless!