Sometimes the greatest ideas come in those wee hours just before falling asleep.
This is one of those …
I have been wanting to make an altered book for many years — decades, actually — but I never had the courage to try. But, when I moved, I “found” an old copy of Alice in Wonderland. The book had purple on the edges of the pages and was such a nice copy that I couldn’t get rid of it — even though my daughter had written on many of the pages. And, with the perfect book in hand, I knew it was time to attempt to make an altered book.
It took me awhile because I wanted to allow plenty of dry time and I had to carefully think everything through, but it wasn’t difficult.
To start, I covered the inside of the cover in paper. Then, I cut out a few pages at the beginning (to get to pages filled with text). Next, I rolled a few pages and glued them down in the middle of the open book. Once that was dry (I was afraid of messing things up, so I did a little bit each day, allowing for plenty of dry time) I used Ranger’s Glue ‘n Seal to paint the edges of the pages on the right side so they would become one solid block.
Next, I traced the interior piece of one of the Globecraft Memories frames and began cutting an oval out of the book. I used my Fisker’s craft knife and continued to cut in sections until I made it all the way to the bottom of the book. I then coated the inside of the oval with Glue ‘n Seal and added some paper and ribbon.
Then, I covered the exterior of the book in the same paper and added a tassel and metal plate that I’ve been carrying around for years …
Back on the inside, I decided I wanted to soften the white pages a bit, so I added some Distress Ink and discovered an awesome technique …
The Distress Ink doesn’t show where the Glue ‘n Seal was. Doesn’t it make for a great look?!?
Next, I wanted to make a place for my fairy to sit, so I used some paper, Glue ‘n Seal, Clearly For Art (by Wendy Vecchi, Studio 490) and a Tim Holtz/Sizzix die to make some flowers. I also pulled out some leftover Prima flowers in a variety of colors and sprayed them all with Adirondack Color Wash in Butterscotch and then a thin coating of Perfect Pearls Mists in Heirloom Gold. The flowers were a variety of green, pink and purple and I love how different they all became with the same treatment. Here’s the inside with the fairy (I used Glue Dots to attach her.
Next came the Globecraft Memories frame … I covered them with paper and paint and attached them together. I still needed a bit of space between the plastic globe and the fairy, so I added a couple layers of dimensional foam.
Then it was just a matter of embellishing … I added some ribbon, some more handmade flowers (some made out of the pages of the book I took out), some more Prima flowers that I dyed and a couple of metal embellishments. I also made a butterfly the same way I made the flowers (paper, Glue ‘n Seal, Tim Holtz/Sizzix die & Clearly For Art) and added some wire antennae. Finally, for some added girly charm, I glued on several Dew Drops from Robin’s Nest.
I love the depth inside the globe. Isn’t this the perfect addition to any girly room?!
This is just lovely!
I am in awe by this gorgeous book! the details are just stunning. I just keep coming back just to get another look at it. Wow I just hope some day I can be that talented! Have a Blessed Week Debi
Oh my goodness it is beautiful! I love fairies and even tho I am in my seventies I can see this in my “girlie” bedroom.
Lovely! I love how soft it looks.
LOVE this project.. thanks for your submission to be on the Hobby Baby Design TEam…
Hello…I found this via Ranger Ink and just have to tell you how adorable this is! All your patience sure paid off…well done!
Candy, this is fabulous! What a wonderful piece of ART!
I really love this! It’s just so cute! Great tutorial.
That is so cute.